BSc PGCUTL(SEDA) MSc SFHEA
Business & Law
Her research interests are based around the use of Personal Construct Theory as a framework for organisational research with individuals. She is currently using this in her PhD work to carry out a longitudinal study investigating the effect of Work Integrated Learning on student perceptions of themselves in a work role.
Fields of interests
Student experience, particularly experience in and influence of Work Integrated Learning.
Proposition of common research in GETM3
- Burr, V., McGrane, A. and King, N. (2017). Personal Construct Qualitative Methods. In P. Liamputtong (Ed.), Handbook of Research Methods in Health Social Sciences (pp. 1-18). Singapore: Springer Singapore
- McGrane, A. (2017) Using Self-Characterisation Sketches to Explore the Influence of Work Integrated Learning on Student Self-Perceptions In: Qualitative Methods in Psychology Biennial Conference 2017 (QMiP 2017), 5-7 July 2017, Aberystwyth University
- Zupan, N., Dziewanowska, K., Seong-Do, C., Hwang, L., Pearce, A., McGrane, A. and Sorensen, C. (2016) Employment preferences and expectations regarding employment relationship of South Korean and EU business students. In: The 2016 International Conference on Social Collaboration and Shared Values in Business, 22nd-23rd January 2016, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, Korea.
- Pearce, A. and McGrane, A. (2015) Going and coming back again: the transformative effects of international experience on students as global citizens. In: Northumbria University Research Conference 2015, May 2015, Northumbria University, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
- Pearce, A., McGrane, A. and Powell, L. (2015) From INERTIA to BEYOND: achieving cognitive engagement and social mobility through international experience or how we engage students to transform themselves by going away and coming back again. In: The NorthEast Learning & Teaching Conference, 27 March 2015, University of Sunderland.
- Waring, T., Nguyen, T., McGrane, A. and Johnston, L. (2014) Developing dynamic capabilitites through university-industry relationships: The role of action research. In: British Academy of Management, 09-11 September 2014, Belfast, Northern Ireland.
- Waring, T., Johnston, L., McGrane, A., Nguyen, T. and Scullion, P. (2013) Developing knowledge sharing partnerships in the SME sector: an action research approach. In: 12th European Conference on Research Methodology for Business Management (ECRM 2013), 4-5 July 2013, Guimaraes, Portugal.
- Robson, A., Pemberton, J. & McGrane, A. (2011) Business Research Analysis, 3rd Edition, McGraw-Hill Custom Publications
- Simpson, B., McGrane, A. and Frances, M. (2009) Sharing the Struggle: Construing the Research Journey. Workshop for the British Academy of Management Research Methodology Special Interest Group, Strathclyde Business School, December 2009
- McGrane, A. (2007) Investigating Student Expectations of University. In: 17th International Congress on PCP, 16-20 July, Brisbane, Australia
- McGrane A. and Harvey, J. (2007) Use of Repertory Grid Technique to Investigate Student Expectations of University, The Higher Education Academy BMAF Conference, 2-4 May 2007, Birmingham
- McGrane, A. (2006) An Investigation of students’ expectations of Higher Education and their implications for Newcastle Business School, In: 8th European Conference on Personal Construct Psychology, Kristianstad, Sweden, 8-11 April 2006
- Smailes, J. & McGrane, A. (2000) Essential Business Statistics, FT Prentice Hall